Monday, December 04, 2017

Another Ultra-Portable Joins the Fleet

Smith-Corona  Cougar
Typecast012

Post-Script: If you're a collector of small typewriters, there's a tradeoff to consider, that being build-quality and typing action versus portability. There are only a few ultra-portables that come close to the same user experience as a medium-sized portable. But by limiting yourself to that small collection, you will miss out on the larger world of ultra-portables; which implies that such a collector must accept the limitations that come with these diminutive writing machines.

I've accepted long ago that I like the build-quality of many Brother machines, yet all the ones I've used suffer from a heavy touch. I accept that as part of the owner experience. This Smith-Corona is no exception. It does have a flimsy feel, far different from the Olympia SF, for example. Yet it's much lighter than the SF, while also noisier in operation. It goes with the territory.

I like that my collection of small typewriters are so easy to store, and each fits in a messenger bag for mobile typing, ideal for the restless word wrestler.

Here's a video I made about this typewriter. Enjoy.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Mmm, yeah. I always pick up these latter-day Skyriters when I see them. They're delightfully janky but easy to work on and "form". They also make great gifts to the typewriter-curious. They aren't as solid as a 1950's Skyriter, but they're good enough, and fun! (:

11:34 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Janky is a great description!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

These "janky" English SCMs exhibit pretty sloppy assembly and cheap, weak materials. However, there is something appealing about them. The color of the plastic speaks to me from my childhood, and they are very easy to tote around.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home